I’ve been a long time podcast listener ever since the days when Geek News Central was just starting and podcasters were trying to figure out what encoding format to use. Fly fishing podcasts have come and gone and some have stood out as worth listening to on a regular basis. Some of the ones I used to follow just abruptly stopped being produced. I definitely understand why as I’ve considered starting one of my own up but haven’t due to the time commitment and I just didn’t want to disappoint the legion of fans that I would no doubt accumulate if I had to give it up. Ha.
To help prevent you, my loyal fan, from digging through iTunes and finding a podcast that looks interesting but realizing that it is no longer updated, I’m copying my subscription list below. Btw, I’ve found the iPhone application, Instacast, to be simple but very reliable for keeping up to date in the world of fly fishing. Also, being a central Texas resident, listening to all the wonderful places that podcasters live and fish helps keep the dreams alive for me.
Anyway, here’s my list. If you have some other good ones that I didn’t include, comment so you can share them with the readers.
- Orvis Fly Fishing Guide – Probably the best, most consistent instructional podcast out there. Tom Rosenbauer is extremely knowledgeable and comes across as the older uncle you wish you could fish with more often. Be prepared to listen for a while as he likes to talk, though that’s not a dig in any way. He knows his stuff and is a great teacher. He frequently has interesting guests. You can subscribe at http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-orvis-fly-fishing-guide/id278930814.
- Skate the Fly – A newcomer. Think fly fishing meets Kevin Rose and Diggnation. They are changing things up for the next show to include some video shot on the water. I think it’ll make a good show even better. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/skate-the-fly-tv/id387822671
- Fish Schtick – It’s got to be good when one of the host’s is named Teeg. I don’t know what that means either. This one is one of my favorites. It’s consistently interesting though isn’t 100% fly fishing focused. I’ll forgive them for that though as I really dig the news in 60 seconds segment and the excellent interviews. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/id317397756
- Itinerant Angler – Infrequent but excellent podcast interview series hosted by Zach Matthews out of Atlanta. Fabulous interviews. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-itinerant-angler-podcast/id125855444
- Hook Flyfishing – Not the most polished out there but I like that it is very regular and I like hearing the fishing reports from Colorado. They’re trying a video segment but it hasn’t really caught on with me yet. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hook-flyfishing/id321807620
- Fly Fishing podcasts with Harry Murray – I’ve been in Harry’s shop many times up in Edinburg VA. The guy knows his regional fishing for trout in the Shenandoah National Park and smallmouth bass in local rivers. He’s great at explaining techniques for finding fish. He doesn’t do a lot of podcasts, but they are worth listening to. He’s the creator of some awesome flies too. Just be ready for a true salesman if you go to his shop. It’s hard to get out of there without buying something. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fly-fishing-podcasts-harry/id301355831
- Ask About Fly Fishing – One of the more prolific and long podcasts. It’s a live interview show that is taped. If you listen live (Thursday nights), you have the opportunity to win some nice prizes from the guest of the week. I never seem to get around to listening live, but I probably should some day. Not all interviews are interesting for everyone as they get pretty regional, but still worth checking in for all of them. Overall, has an old school feel to it but still interesting. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/ask-about-fly-fishing-internet/id135244146
- Dirt Bag Diaries – though it’s only occasionally related to fly fishing, it’s a great outdoors podcast that actually brought me to tears on one show. I admit it. Listen to http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/what-we-had/id218290471?i=89970111 and let me know if it didn’t touch you a bit at least. http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dirtbag-diaries/id218290471
- FFOTW – going to list Fly Fishing on the Web because I listened to it religiously until it just stopped one day. Guys, bring it back! http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fly-fishing-weekly-ffotw-com/id273856369
TagsActivist Antique Art bamboo Barton Creek bass blog Blog Posts Blue River Boat book Breckenridge California Colorado equipmentreview Film Fishing Report Fly fishing film Guadalupe Guest Post iPhone/iPad Applications Lower Sacramento River lunch magazine Misc Montana New Mexico New Zealand Oklahoma Pedernales Podcast pond real estate Reimers Ranch Salmon SeaEagle Stealhead tips travel trips Trout Video Website White Bass woodlands